The Foundation Stage (Years 1 and 2) aims to build on previous learning experiences by providing children with an appropriate learning programme to develop their dispositions to learn and to provide them with the skills and competencies they will need to succeed in school and future life.
The Aims of the Foundation Stage, as outlined in the Northern Ireland Curriculum, is a learning programme which will :
- promote children's personal development
- promote positive attitudes and dispositions to learning
- promote children's Thinking Skills and Personal Capabilities
- encourage creativity and imagination
- enable children to develop physical confidence and competence
- develop children's curiosity and interest in the world around them
- enable children to communicate in a variety of ways
- motivate children to develop literacy and numeracy skills in meaningful contexts.
The statutory curriculum in the Foundation is set out under the following Areas of Learning:
- Religious Education
- Language and Literacy
- Mathematics and Numeracy
- The Arts
- The World Around Us
- Personal Development and Mutual Understanding
- Physical Development and Movement.